Set up your DevKit
Step 6. Prepare Development Environment
Now it’s time to set up the development environment: tools and packages for you to build stunning IoT applications.
We encourage you to use the installation package to prepare the development environment. If you encounter any issues, you can follow the manual steps to get it done.
A. Download latest package
.zip file you download contains all necessary tools and packages required for DevKit development.
.zipfile contains the following tools and packages. If you already have some components installed, the script will detect and skip them.
- Node.js and Yarn: Runtime for the setup script and automated tasks
- Azure CLI 2.0 MSI - Cross-platform command-line experience for managing Azure resources, the MSI contains dependent Python and pip.
- Visual Studio Code: Lightweight code editor for DevKit development
- Visual Studio Code extension for Arduino: Enables Arduino development in VS Code
- Arduino IDE: The extension for Arduino relies on this tool
- DevKit Board Package: Tool chains, libraries and projects for the DevKit
- ST-Link Utility: Essential utilities and drivers
B. Run installation script
In Windows File Explorer, locate the
.zip and extract it, find
install.cmd, right-click and select “Run as administrator” to start.
During installation, you will see the progress of each tool or package.
C. Confirm to install drivers
The VS Code for Arduino extension relies on the Arduino IDE. If this is the first time you are installing the Arduino IDE, you will be prompted to install relevant drivers:
It should take around 10 minutes to finish installation depending on your Internet speed. Once the installation is complete, you should see Visual Studio Code and Arduino IDE shortcuts on your desktop.
Notice: Occasionally, when you launch VS Code, you will be prompted with an error that cannot find Arduino IDE or related board package. To solve it, close VS Code, launch Arduino IDE once and VS Code should locate Arduino IDE path correctly.
I ran into an issue I have set up the development environment